This website has an optional login for website subscribers below. To customise the web content and receive email updates, register here.

Follow Us Twitter RSS LinkedIn YouTube Google+
Help icon

Get better results by searching for an exact phrase using quotation marks, e.g. "extended learning support"

Entering more than one term, e.g. extended learning support will search for any of those words.


Related Material

Further information and links related to the content of this page can be found below:

Save this page

Can students apply to SFC for funding?

We don’t fund individual students as our funding goes directly to colleges and universities.


Applications for our student support funds are made directly to the college. Colleges cannot use these funds for school age students who are still at school or for students who are studying for a qualification above the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework level 6. 

Residency requirements are set out in the Further Education Residency Guide [PDF].

Students should refer to individual colleges for information on specific courses. For advanced level courses, i.e. those at SCQF level 7 (HNC) or above, students may be eligible for funding from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Email: for more information.


Applications by Scottish and EU-domiciled students for the payment of course fees and student support funds should be made to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS). SAAS will be able to advise if you meet the residency criteria and if you are eligible to have your fees paid.

We do, however, provide funding to cover tuition fees for a set number of places on taught postgraduate courses at various Scottish universities. This funding is paid directly to universities and not to individual students. Further details on applying for SFC funded postgraduate places are available from the relevant university.

International students

The British Council provides various details on scholarships and financial support for students who live outwith the EU and are interested in studying in the UK.

Returning to learning?

If you are considering a return to learning, you may find the following links useful: